Tuesday, July 29, 2008

two

Maybe this should have been my first post, but I got a little trigger happy with my own writing and neglected the writing I copied and put up at the top of this blog. "the withering / meadows at nothing" is the last line and a half of the CK Williams poem "Loss." Maybe some day I will write something intelligent about it instead of just sit in slackjawed awe whenever I remember it. Anyway, I would rather just post it than say how much I like it (a lot!), so here:

C.K. Williams

Loss

In this day and age Lord
you are like one of those poor famers
who burns the forest off
and murders his lands and then
can't leave and goes sullen and lean
among the rusting yard junk, the scrub
and the famished stock.

Lord I have felt myself raked
into the earth like manure,
harrowed and plowed under,
but I am still enough like you
to stand on the porch
chewing a stalk or drinking
while tall weeds come up dead
and the house dogs, snapping
their chains like moths, howl
and point towards the withering
meadows at nothing.

No comments: